Pages

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

more ramblings

I wrote this yesterday and didn't get a chance to post it.  Forgive me?
 
Well it happened.  I finally caught a cold.  I suppose I didn’t have one all winter because I was sequestered to my couch for the better part of the winter.  Jim brought it home (yes, I am blaming him and yes, I know it really isn’t his fault) last week.  It started on Wednesday and was really bad by Sunday and Monday.  Mine started the following Wednesday and has proceeded to follow his but has totally different symptoms.  Mine is a mild head cold and he seems to have a respiratory thing going on.  My biggest fear is that this Wednesday, Rylee will come down with it.  While, it really isn’t all that bad, I still wouldn’t wish it on a teenager.  I spent the bulk of my Easter weekend sleeping.  It’s Monday and I could easily be on nap number 2 by now.  So very tired.  I am the sort that can usually sleep something off and I really want to. 
 
Today I did what I said I would in my last post.  I called the claims department of the hospital again.  She didn’t answer so I left her a voice mail.  Sadly, I liked that better than having to confront her and even more sad is the fact that I didn’t exactly get anywhere with it, which means that I will have to do it again.  I have no problem cleaning up loose ends for my mom.  I find it much easier to confront people when it isn’t my mess that I am cleaning up.  I suppose there is an emotional detachment from my moms stuff and that must help make it easier to do than my own stuff.  I have no problem picking up the phone when moms’ medical bill didn’t get covered by Medicare but heaven forbid I deal with my own.  
 
Rylee is driving now.  My baby.  How did that happen?  How did she get to be old enough to be responsible for a car?  She has today off of school so she got up early to take me to work so she could have the car today.  I might be weird when I confess this but I kind of like driving my kids all over.  Not only do you get to meet their friends, but you get their undivided attention.  They will tell you all about their day, learn their favorite songs, and they will fill you in on their lives; at least until the garage door opens and they escape.  I am also not very good at letting go.  When I had to let go of things with Erin, I calmed myself with the thought that I still had Rylee.  Now it is Rylee’s turn and it is 10 times harder than I ever thought it would be. I thought I would be ready for all of these feelings and maybe, because I knew it would be coming, be ahead of the game.  Or maybe it would be easier because I have done it all before.   Not the case.  It doesn’t matter how much you prepare, letting go of your children hurts. It might be a ‘mom thing’.  I’m ok with that but I don’t think it is an exclusive club.  I think dads have trouble too.   My baby girl graduates in 2 years.  I won’t be ready for that either!  I will try not to cry in front of her though.
 
Recycling has never really been something I did until I started working for a recycling facility.  Then I took the aluminum and plastic out of my garbage and separated them and would haul them into work with me occasionally.  Two weeks ago the city I live in delivered a HUGE lidded can to every home for recycling and along with it a list of things that can be put in the can.  I have found that I am tossing more stuff in there than I thought I would.  My wine bottle from Easter day, a salsa jar, soda cases, food packaging, shipping boxes, and plastics; it’s all going in there.  It has only been 2 weeks and I have the thing half full!  I never thought I could get it that full but when you add in all the other things besides just plastic and cans that I can put in there it fills up.  The bonus is not having to sort it.  That was what held me back before.  I just didn’t have the space for multiple containers.  I have no clue how much of what I am putting into my recycling bin will eventually end up in a landfill or if any of it ever will but I like feeling like I am reducing my ‘footprint’.  Earth Day is coming up.  This year it is April 22nd.  If you don’t do anything all year, do one small thing on Earth Day.  We have to start somewhere. 

1 comment:

  1. We had one of those recycling bins at the house in Stafford. We filled it up long before we filled up the garbage one. I miss it. Now we have to take the garbage to the other side of the complex so recycling is just cans and bottles. No room in an apartment to separate all that crap.

    ReplyDelete